You are here

Traditional Music and You

Where can I hear traditional music?

Scotland is full of opportunities to catch some trad music. You can find out about professional concerts through venues and the more informal clubs. There is a busy year-round schedule of festivals taking place, and a vibrant culture of community-based song and tune sessions happening in pubs and other public spaces. Search online for sessions in your area. These are usually free to watch or take part in, and are an opportunity for musicians at all levels to meet and share music together. You can also find a number of record labels and publishers dedicated to trad. Find out more here.


Where can I take part in traditional music?

Traditional music is at heart a community phenomenon, and the best way to experience it is to take part. Scotland has a rich body of community music organisations offering tuition for children and adults, social playing, performance opportunities and local resources. You might also want to take a look at what our development organisations are currently involved with, or look into a specialty such as strathspey and reel, piping or harp.


How can I book traditional musicians? 

The trad music community prides itself on its very high standard of musicians. You can book musicians for dancing (ceilidhs), public gigs, private functions, teaching or fundraising events (to name but a few). Many musicians can be contacted directly through their websites, but for specialist help, contact agents and promoters. You can find information about appropriate levels of pay through the Musicians’ Union, and further information for the professional sector through the other services offered by Traditional Music Forum members.


Where can I study traditional music?

Scotland is host to a range of high quality academic institutions providing courses relating to traditional music; from high school level to PhD, practical to research-based.


Visit the Resources section for practical information relating to the traditional music sector.